Friends in Faith,
Last Sunday, Elijah reminded us that even the best of us – even after doing their best – lose perspective sometimes. And, God’s answer to him in the sound of silence echos to us today: “You are not alone, and I am not done with you.” We were also blessed to remember so many of our loved ones who died in the last year, and to celebrate the mystical connection we have to them – and to Christ Jesus – at the communion table.
This Sunday, we will hear the words from another prophet – Amos – as we explore Amos 1:1-2; 5:14-15, 21-24. Our preacher will be my dear friend, Rabbi Brent Spodek of the Beacon Hebrew Alliance. Having heard several teachings from Rabbi Brent over the years, I can guarantee that you will be blessed and challenged by his words this Sunday.
I want to share my profound thanks for the 28 individuals/families who made pledges – totalling over $60,000 – to our 2018 budget. Over the next month, our session will be putting next year’s budget together based on your commitments. While the total amount was lower than hoped, I trust our elders will be up to the challenge of finding creative ways to continue the important ministry God is doing among us. I’m so grateful for their leadership and service.
Finally, like many of you, my heart is struggling to come to terms with the unimaginable shooting that took place at a Texas church last week. I believe in the power of prayer, and I will also be praying about how I – and we – can live faithfully at a time of unending violence. As I’ve learned from my dear friend, we’re better when we’re in it together.
Thanksgiving Dinner – We will be hosting our annual feast of gratitude following worship on Nov 19th. Sign up sheets are posted on the bulletin board in McKinley Hall. Please sign up if you:
- Plan to attend
- Can bring a dish to share
- *Financial donations are welcome, especially for turkey, if you can’t cook something.
- Can help with set-up, serving, or clean-up
You are invited to support our Young Adult Volunteers by sending them a note of encouragement or even financial support. Personal notes can be sent to the addresses below. Click on the link at their names for details on how to make a financial contribution (be sure to include the name when giving).
Xitlalli Garcia (ECO# e051440)
400 E University
Tucson, AZ 85705
Elizabeth Myers (ECO # e051474)
New Orleans Young Adult Volunteers
PO Box 8666
New Orleans, LA 70182
Leila Wright (ECO # e210109)
759a Argyle St,
Church of Scotland
Glasgow G3 8DS, Scotland.
Jeremy Demarest (ECO# e051472)
683 Grant St SE
Atlanta, GA 30315
After the Spill: Friday, 11/10, 7pm – This month’s Movies that Matter film follows filmmaker John Bowermaster as he returns to the Louisiana shore five years after the 2010 Earth Day Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion, which flooded the Gulf of Mexico with crude oil and devastated the surrounding coastline. Interviewing a collection of the locals, from fishermen to scientists to politicians to oil-rig workers, Bowermaster investigates the enduring impact of the catastrophe.
NEXT WEEK AT FIRST PRESBYTERIAN
Sunday – 11/12
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink & Rabbi Brent Spodek. Music led by Amy Martinez.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
Monday – 11/13
- Spiritual Classics (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small-group conversation about life and faith. We are currently exploring Richard Foster’s book: Celebration of Discipline.
Wednesday – 11/15
- Mars Hill Discussion (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small group that has an open and honest discussion about the challenges of the world (Mars Hill is where the Apostle Paul met with the great philosophers in Athens) and the struggles of our lives (or, what we call, the Mess). All are welcome and all is confidential.
Friday – 11/17
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am: Good food for all. A time to be fed in body and soul.
Saturday – 11/18
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am
Sunday – 11/19
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am Preacher Rev. Gretchen Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by Sally Hitchcock.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
The church hosts a number of community and 12-step groups throughout the week. For more information on meeting times call the office at 845-831-5322 or visit our webpage beaconpresbychurch.org