Friends in Faith,
Last Sunday, we were reminded that being born is hard work – and letting go to what God is doing among us may be the hardest. After worship, we gathered in McKinley Hall to look back on 2017 and to look forward to our shared future. The financial challenges are real and powerful – but, God is more powerful. And, I was grateful for the honest, thorough conversation, as well as all the people who stepped up – to serve food, the volunteers on the Nominating Team, to offer their willing spirits. It was a blessing, and we’ll continue to be blessed when we work together as the Body of Christ.
This Sunday, we’ll encounter a transformative story – the woman at the well in John 4:1-42 – where Jesus reveals just how much God transcends race and religion. May we be transformed in the hearing.
See you on Sunday!
PS – Feb 13th, the day of our Fat Tuesday Pancake Supper & Talent Show – Flipped – will be here before we know it. See below for more info, and please be sure to RSVP via this link.
Interfaith Book Study: Exodus and Revolution, by Professor Michael Walzer. Classes will meet on Thursdays from 7:30-9PM for six weeks:
- Feb 15 – Introduction at Beacon Hebrew Alliance (331 Verplanck Avenue) with Rabbi Brent Spodek
- Feb 22 – Chapter 1 at the Salvation Army (372 Main Street) with Lieutenant Leilani Alarcón
- March 1 – Chapter 2 at Springfield Baptist Church (8 Mattie Cooper Square) with Pastor Edward Benson of the New Vision Church of Deliverance
- March 8 – Chapter 3 at Salem Tabernacle (7 Delevan Avenue) with Pastor Bill Dandreano
- March 15 – Chapter 4 at First Presbyterian Church, (50 Liberty Street) with Pastor Ben Larson-Wolbrink
- March 22 – Conclusion at Beacon Hebrew Alliance (331 Verplanck Avenue) with Rev. Emily McNeill, Executive Director of the NYS Labor Religion Coalition and co-chair of the NYS Poor People’s Campaign
To register (required) go to: http://bit.ly/ExodusRevolution
Food Donations – This month we are collecting food donations at the sanctuary entrance for:
- First Presbyterian Church Welcome Table (Fri & Sat hot meal): pancake mix, instant potatoes, tuna fish, canned chicken, and canned beans for chili
- St. Andrews Food Pantry (Sat food distribution): hot/cold cereals and Parmalat (shelf-stable milk), the next deadline for donations will be Feb 18th
Hudson River Presbytery (regional body of Presbyterian Churches)
- Hudson River U, Mar 17th – A day full of learning with our peers from the Presbytery at the Stony Point Conference Center. Classes will include youth ministries, social justice ministries, officer training, and more. You won’t want to miss it!
- Per Capita – The Presbytery has increased our per capita apportionment to $37. This contribution is expected of all members to support the ministry of our denomination at the higher levels. Please submit your contribution, and consider doing so for others who may be unable.
Ash Wednesday – Join us for a simple evening service in the Sanctuary where we will begin the season of Lent by remembering our mortality – and God’s totality – and receiving the mark of ashes on our foreheads.
Presbyterians 101 – If you’re interested in learning about our unique branch of the Christian family tree, becoming a member of the congregation, or just refreshing your memory about what we believe, this three-session course is for you! Classes will be held in the Edgar Library from 10:00-11:30 on the following Saturdays:
- Feb 17th
- Feb 24th
- Mar 3rd
To register (required) go to: http://bit.ly/FPCB101
Flipped: Fat Tuesday Pancakes & Talent Show, Feb 13th – We’ll gather for an evening of fun before Lent begins. Pancakes will be served and all are invited to share their talents – or lack-there-of – with the congregation! Dinner starts at 5:30 and performances begin at 6. In addition to performers, we need volunteers to help Pastor Ben flip pancakes and for clean-up afterward. Register here: http://bit.ly/FPCBFlipped
NEXT WEEK AT FIRST PRESBYTERIAN
Sunday – 2/4
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am: Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by Sally Hitchcock.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
Monday – 2/5
- Spiritual Classics (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small-group conversation about life and faith. We are currently exploring Richard Foster’s book: Celebration of Discipline.
Wednesday – 2/7
- Mars Hill Discussion (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small group that has an open and honest discussion about the challenges of the world (Mars Hill is where the Apostle Paul met with the great philosophers in Athens) and the struggles of our lives (or, what we call, the Mess). All are welcome and all is confidential.
Friday – 2/9
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am: Good food for all. A time to be fed in body and soul.
Saturday – 2/10
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am
Sunday – 2/11
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am: Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by Katie Budryk.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
The church hosts a number of community and 12-step groups throughout the week. For more information on meeting times call the office at 845-831-5322 or visit our webpage beaconpresbychurch.org