We were inspired last Sunday by the story of pure praise from a young boy – and, yet again, the chickens manage to make their way into the sermon. Everything that breathes, praises!
This Sunday, we’ll begin a 4-week sermon series on the two Sacraments we observe as Presbyterians: Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. It will be a great opportunity to learn more about these signs of God’s gracious action and our grateful response. The themes of the series will be:
- Week one (7/16) – Baptism: God’s Promise of Life for All (Acts 2:37-42)
- Week two (7/23) – Baptism: Dying and Rising in Christ (Romans 6:1-11)
- Week three (7/30) – the Lord’s Supper: God’s Feast for All (1 Corinthians 11:17-34)
- Week four (8/6) – the Lord’s Supper: Remembering & Anticipating (John 21:1-14)
Hope to see you there!
Though our turn-out for the work day was meager, the handful present did excellent work pruning overgrown bushes and sanding/staining our new bike rack, hand built by Glen Sneyd. We were glad to see it in use on Sunday, and we hope you’ll have a chance to use it in the future.
PRESBYTERY AT HOLMES
Each summer, Hudson River Presbytery meets at the Holmes Camp for an informal meeting, with special activities for families and kids. This year, worship will be led by a team from Beacon: Gretchen Brokaw, Katie & Tom Budryk, Pamela Hormerte, Katrina Zezza, and Pastors Ben & Gretchen. All are invited to join us on Tuesday, July 25th from 2-6pm. To learn more, visit this link. You can register here.
SACRAMENTS MINISTRY TEAM
Do you appreciate the power of how the sacraments – communion and baptism – convey God’s grace in the simple stuff of daily life? Are you looking for a simple, but important, way to serve the ministries of our church? The Session is putting together a “Sacraments Ministry Team,” a group of people who will be responsible for preparation and clean-up when we celebrate together. If interested, contact Steve Partlow, our Worship and Discipleship Chair.
You’re invited to join us as we read The Shack by William P. Young. If you would like to participate in a discussion group, stay tuned for more details. Whether you participate in your group, or read it on your own, we’ll all gather together in the fall to enjoy a meal, view the film, and share how it has affected our faith.
The new development near First Presbyterian Church (The Lofts @ Beacon Falls on Leonard St.) has offered applications to our congregation for those in need of affordable housing. If you or someone you know is looking, feel free to contact the church office.
NEXT WEEK AT FIRST PRESBYTERIAN
Sunday – 7/16
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am: We kick off our 4-week sermon series on the Sacraments with a focus on baptism. Music led by Amy Martinez, Music Coordinator.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am: A time to relax and get to know each other better following worship.
Monday – 7/17
- Spiritual Classics (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small-group conversation about life and faith. We are currently exploring Richard Foster’s book: Celebration of Discipline.
Wednesday – 7/19
- Mars Hill Discussion (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small group that has an open and honest discussion about the challenges of the world (Mars Hill is where the Apostle Paul met with the great philosophers in Athens) and the struggles of our lives (or, what we call, the Mess). All are welcome and all is confidential.
Friday – 7/21
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am: Good food for all. A time to be fed in body and soul.
Saturday – 7/22
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am
Sunday – 7/23
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am: Week two of our 4-week sermon series on the Sacraments. Baptism: Dying and Rising in Christ. Music led by the Worship Band.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
The church hosts a number of community and 12-step groups throughout the week. For more information on meeting times call the office at 845-831-5322 or visit our webpage beaconpresbychurch.org