Friends in Faith,
Last Sunday, we were reminded of the powerful truth that God is always bridging worlds. God reaches out to us, beginning again and again. And, we were challenged to begin again ourselves – to bridge worlds by taking the risk to reach out. Are you up for the challenge?
Last Sunday, we also mentioned the wisdom Julian of Norwich during our prayer time. I encourage you to check out the Renovare Podcast, with two special episodes – one, conversational and the other, meditational – exploring her powerful insights on faith.
These will be coming in handy – and will surely be useful for this Sunday’s sermon – as we explore the challenging terrain of Genesis 22:-14. In the midst of an unimaginably horrible task, Abraham keeps saying, “Here I am.” When the going gets tough, Abraham keeps showing up. Here’s a little video teaser to help prepare you for Sunday.
Also on Sunday we’ll welcome back our choir (see info below about how you can join – rehearsals start tonight!) and we’ll get a taste of the Godly Play experience during our Children’s Sermon time.
PS – It’s well overdue, but First Presbyterian Church is on YELP! Would you take a moment to click here and write a review for us? Help us get the word out about what God is doing here!
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance has a long and reputable history of responding faithfully to disasters, and remaining with the communities through the long process of rebuilding. To support their efforts to respond to Harvey, Irene, and others, visit: pda.pcusa.org
Welcome Table – Welcome Table could use donations of pasta, sauces, tuna, and salad dressing. To make a donation, contact Deacon Rose Quirk or the office.
St. Andrews Food Pantry – The deadline for this month’s donations of canned a dry goods for the St. Andrews Food Pantry is this Sunday, September 17th.
Autism Awareness Concert: 9/16, 2:30 in McKinley Hall – A special event to raise awareness and provide a creative outlet for autistic children and their families… and star in a music video!
Gregory Boyle at Iona College: 9/19 – A lunch-hour lecture by the author of Tattoos on the Heart. Contact Pastor Ben if you’re looking for transportation.
Nursery Volunteers Needed – We are looking for volunteers to work with our Childcare Staff to provide a safe, nurturing environment for pre-elementary children during worship. If you are interested in occasionally serving in this capacity, please contact the office: email@example.com. Please note: all volunteers working with children under the age of 18 are required to do an online background check and online abuse prevention training before serving.
Come Sing With Us – All interested folks are welcome to sing in the church choir on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month. We practice at 9am each Sunday the choir sings, as well as at 7pm the Thursday prior. If interested, contact Sally Hitchcock: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dinner, Movie, and Conversation: 9/28 – Invite your friends to join us as we gather to view The Shack and share insights around what we have learned reading this powerful book together.
Spirit of Beacon Day: 9/24 – Help us spread the word about First Presbyterian! We need folks to march / sing in the parade and folks to staff our information table.
PASTOR SCHEDULE UPDATES
- September 25-27: Stewardship Conference in St. Pete Beach, FL
- Oct 6-9: Family Diabetes Event in PA.
Thursday Sabbath Day – Sabbath days are an important, biblically-grounded time to rest and be renewed by God. Unless it is an emergency, Pastor Ben will respond to any Thursday communications on Fridays.
NEXT WEEK AT FIRST PRESBYTERIAN
Sunday – 9/17
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by Sally Hitchcock & the Choir.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
Monday – 9/18
- Spiritual Classics (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small-group conversation about life and faith. We are currently exploring Richard Foster’s book: Celebration of Discipline.
Tuesday – 9/19
- Hudson River Presbytery Meeting at Scarsdale Presbyterian – 10am-3:30pm
- Gregory Boyle at Iona College: A lunch-hour lecture by the author of Tattoos on the Heart. NOTE: please contact Pastor Ben to arrange travel details.
Wednesday – 9/20
- Mars Hill Discussion (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small group that has an open and honest discussion about the challenges of the world (Mars Hill is where the Apostle Paul met with the great philosophers in Athens) and the struggles of our lives (or, what we call, the Mess). All are welcome and all is confidential.
Thursday – 9/21
- Worship Band Rehearsal (Sanctuary) – 7pm
Friday – 9/22
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am: Good food for all. A time to be fed in body and soul.
Saturday – 9/23
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am
Sunday – 9/24
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by the Worship Band.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
- Spirit of Beacon Day (Main St.) – 1pm
The church hosts a number of community and 12-step groups throughout the week. For more information on meeting times call the office at 845-831-5322 or visit our webpage beaconpresbychurch.org