Friends in Faith,
Last Sunday, we remembered how life can hit us in the guts – and we were invited to keep showing up, even when the going gets tough. We also welcomed back the choir. This Sunday, we’ll hear the story of Jacob in Genesis 27:1-4,15-23; 28:10-17. Jacob, the focus of the story, spends his life cheating others – and yet he gets a taste of heaven. Eventually – after much time and much struggle – he learns that if we want to heal, we need to get real. Are you up for the challenge?
Also this Sunday we’ll head on down to Main Street for the Spirit of Beacon Day parade. We’ll need folks to hang out at our booth and pass out water bottles, and we’ll need folks to march and sing with us in the parade. Come to worship on Sunday to learn more!
PS – I’ll be out Sept 25-27 at the Stewardship Kaleidoscope in St. Pete Beach, Fl. I’m excited to learn how we can be better stewards of all that God has given us.
PPS – First Presbyterian Church still needs your YELP reviews! Would you take a moment to click here and write a review for us? Help us get the word out about what God is doing here!
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance has a long and reputable history of responding faithfully to disasters, and remaining with the communities through the long process of rebuilding. To support their efforts to respond to Harvey, Irene, and others, visit: pda.pcusa.org
Welcome Table – Welcome Table could use donations of pasta, sauces, tuna, and salad dressing. To make a donation, contact Deacon Rose Quirk or the office.
St. Andrews Food Pantry – The next deadline for donations of canned and dry goods for the St. Andrews Food Pantry is Sunday, October 15th.
Winter Clothes for Refugees – This week – and this week only – we’ll be collecting warm clothing (including coats) for refugees being relocated to Albany. If you would like to make a donation of gently used (but good quality items), please contact the church office.
- 5pm: Dinner catered by the Red Pepper Diner – Hear Herman’s story while enjoying authentic Sri Lankan food. Stay tuned for cost/RSVP details.
- 7pm: Conversation at the Beacon Hebrew Alliance Sukkah –Hear Herman’s story as a part of the Open to the Sky public Sukkah that the BHA puts on each year.
10/11 – 7pm: “Following Jesus in the Age of Trump” – at the BHA Open to the Sky Sukkah project. How does one follow Christ when others are using Christianity as a justification for exclusion and violence? Pastor Ben will listen to your questions and share his call to follow Jesus’ commandment to love God and neighbor – all of them.
Nursery Volunteers Needed – We are looking for volunteers to work with our Childcare Staff to provide a safe, nurturing environment for pre-elementary children during worship. If you are interested in occasionally serving in this capacity, please contact the office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: all volunteers working with children under the age of 18 are required to do an online background check and online abuse prevention training before serving.
Come Sing With Us – All interested folks are welcome to sing in the church choir on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month. We practice at 9am each Sunday the choir sings, as well as at 7pm the Thursday prior. If interested, contact Sally Hitchcock: email@example.com
Dinner, Movie, and Conversation: 9/28 – Invite your friends to join us as we gather to view The Shack and share insights around what we have learned reading this powerful book together.
Spirit of Beacon Day: 9/24 – Help us spread the word about First Presbyterian! We need folks to march / sing in the parade and folks to staff our information table.
PASTOR SCHEDULE UPDATES
- September 25-27: Stewardship Conference in St. Pete Beach, FL
- Oct 6-9: Family Diabetes Event in PA.
Thursday Sabbath Day – Sabbath days are an important, biblically-grounded time to rest and be renewed by God. Unless it is an emergency, Pastor Ben will respond to any Thursday communications on Fridays.
NEXT WEEK AT FIRST PRESBYTERIAN
Sunday – 9/24
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by the Worship Band.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
- Spirit of Beacon Day (Main St.) – 1pm
Monday – 9/25
- Spiritual Classics (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small-group conversation about life and faith. We are currently exploring Richard Foster’s book: Celebration of Discipline.
Wednesday – 9/27
- Mars Hill Discussion (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small group that has an open and honest discussion about the challenges of the world (Mars Hill is where the Apostle Paul met with the great philosophers in Athens) and the struggles of our lives (or, what we call, the Mess). All are welcome and all is confidential.
Thursday – 9/28
- Choir Rehearsal (Sanctuary) – 6pm
- The Shack: Dinner, Movie, & Discussion (McKinley Hall) – 7pm: Invite your friends to join us as we gather to share insights around what we have learned in reading this powerful book together.
Friday – 9/29
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am: Good food for all. A time to be fed in body and soul.
Saturday – 9/30
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am
Sunday – 10/1
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by Sally Hitchcock & the Choir.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
- Table Talks Youth Group (McKinley Hall) – 7pm
The church hosts a number of community and 12-step groups throughout the week. For more information on meeting times call the office at 845-831-5322 or visit our webpage beaconpresbychurch.org