Friends in Faith,
The young people in this neck of the woods are headed back to school this week filled with anticipation, and maybe a bit of trepidation. Even in the most familiar circumstances, there’s something risky about beginning again.
This Sunday, we’ll re-start the Narrative Lectionary and go back the beginning of our bibles as we explore Genesis 1:1-2:4. We’ll learn how God took a risk to create – and continue to create – in a rhythm, in relationship, and for a reason. It’s always a risk, but we’re invited to join in. Here’s a video teaser to help you prepare.
This Sunday, we’ll also re-start our Young Disciples program during worship. And we have a great, new way to engage scripture – Godly Play. We hope to see your kids this Sunday!
Hurricane Response – Presbyterian Disaster Assistance has a long and reputable history of responding faithfully to disasters, and remaining with the communities through the long process of rebuilding. To support their efforts to respond to Tropical Storm Harvey, visit: pda.pcusa.org
Welcome Table – Welcome Table could use donations of pasta, sauces, tuna, and salad dressing. To make a donation, contact Deacon Rose Quirk or the office.
St. Andrews Food Pantry – The deadline for this month’s donations of canned a dry goods for the St. Andrews Food Pantry is September 17th.
Autism Awareness Concert: 9/16, 2-3:30 in McKinley Hall – A special event to raise awareness and provide a creative outlet for autistic children and their families.
Gregory Boyle at Iona College: 9/19 – A lunch-hour lecture by the author of Tattoos on the Heart. Contact Pastor Ben if you’re looking for transportation.
Come to the Table: 9/22-23 – A conference of the Synod of the Northeast will meet at Stony Point Center, with a variety of relevant workshops and ways to network with other Presbyterians in advocacy, solidarity, and mission. Hudson River Presbytery will be offering scholarships to all participants. To learn more, or to register, visit here. (Those in need of childcare are encouraged to contact the Synod Office.)
YAVs – You are also invited to follow the YAV blogs and send them notes of encouragement throughout the year:
- Jeremy Demarest (Atlanta): jeremydemarest.wordpress.com
- Xitlalli Garcia (Tucson): http://www.tucsonborderlandsyav.org/
- Elizabeth Myers (New Orleans): elizabethmyersyav.wordpress.com
- Leila Wright (Scotland): leilapwright.wordpress.com
Dinner, Movie, and Conversation: 9/28 – Invite your friends to join us as we gather to view The Shack and share insights around what we have learned reading this powerful book together.
Spirit of Beacon Day: 9/24 – Help us spread the word about First Presbyterian! We need folks to march / sing in the parade and folks to staff our information table.
PASTOR SCHEDULE UPDATES
Time Away – September 25-27: Stewardship Conference in St. Pete Beach, FL
Thursday Sabbath Day – Sabbath days are an important, biblically-grounded time to rest and be renewed by God. Unless it is an emergency, Pastor Ben will respond to any Thursday communications on Fridays.
NEXT WEEK AT FIRST PRESBYTERIAN
Sunday – 9/10
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am, Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by Amy Martinez.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
Monday – 9/11
- Spiritual Classics (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small-group conversation about life and faith. We are currently exploring Richard Foster’s book: Celebration of Discipline.
Wednesday – 9/13
- Mars Hill Discussion (McKinley Hall) – 12pm: A small group that has an open and honest discussion about the challenges of the world (Mars Hill is where the Apostle Paul met with the great philosophers in Athens) and the struggles of our lives (or, what we call, the Mess). All are welcome and all is confidential.
Friday – 9/15
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am: Good food for all. A time to be fed in body and soul.
Saturday – 9/16
- Welcome Table (McKinley Hall) – 10am
- Autism Awareness Concert (McKinley Hall) – 2pm
Sunday – 9/17
- Worship (Sanctuary) – 10am Preacher Rev. Ben Larson-Wolbrink. Music led by Sally Hitchcock & the Choir.
- Food & Fellowship (McKinley Hall) – 11am
The church hosts a number of community and 12-step groups throughout the week. For more information on meeting times call the office at 845-831-5322 or visit our webpage beaconpresbychurch.org